To mark 75 years since the atomic bombings, Mayors for Peace hosted a peace education webinar with a main theme, “No more Hiroshima! No more Nagasaki!” Participants were young people in member cities both in and outside Japan, as well as their counterparts engaged in peace activities in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
They studied the current international situation surrounding nuclear weapons, gave presentations on their activities, and had discussions with others. The webinar aims to stimulate youth-led peace activities in their cities in support of nuclear weapons abolition.
Below is the video from the webinar.
- 1. Date & time
- Tuesday, August 4, 2020, 7 pm – 9 pm (Japan Standard Time / UTC+09:00)
- 2. Facilitator
- Dr. Shinsuke Tomotsugu, Associate Professor at the Center for Peace, Hiroshima University
- 3. Proceedings
- ⑴ Part 1: Lecture titled “The Current International Situation Surrounding Nuclear Weapons Abolition” by Ms. Keiko Nakamura, Associate Professor at the Research Center for Nuclear Weapons Abolition, Nagasaki University
- ⑵ Part 2: Presentations by young people from Hiroshima and Nagasaki on their peace activities
- ・ Youth Peace Volunteers affiliated with the Hiroshima Peace Culture Foundation
- ・ Nagasaki Youth Delegation affiliated with PCU Nagasaki Council for Nuclear Weapons Abolition (PCU-NC)
- ⑶ Part 3: Presentations by the support program participants on their peace activities taken after the program
- Presentations by 5 young people from Grigny (France), Santos (Brazil), Volgograd (Russia), Manchester (UK), and Takasaki (Japan)
- *Since 2016, Mayors for Peace has invited selected youths from various member cities to Hiroshima to participate in its Youth Exchange for Peace Support Program. Young people represent their own cities and participate in peace study programs run by the City of Hiroshima, with financial and other support by Mayors for Peace.
- ４ Language