Topics 2007 - 2008

Hiroshima Shudo University students’ review on the field study

We received the students’ review on the field study from Hiroshima Shudo University. About 80 students participated in this field study from the university. They were divided into two separate groups that visited the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum on May 24th and May 31st.

Afterwards, they listened to Ms. Emiko Okada’s atomic bomb testimonial. The students wrote about what they had seen and heard, and how they had felt throughout the field study on that day. A few essays have been selected and are available below:

Today was my first visit to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum. Looking around the museum, I was at a loss for words. Up until now, I had attended many lectures given by a variety of people such as Mayor Akiba of Hiroshima City, and have been thinking about the A-bomb. Today, however, visiting the museum, I learned afresh the terror of the A-bomb, the pain and sorrow of the citizens of Hiroshima, and something I cannot explain with words. To be honest, I often wanted to cover my eyes. As long as people do not see what one single atomic bomb had brought upon Hiroshima, the abolition of nuclear weapons cannot happen. As Ms. Okada, who experienced atomic bomb herself told us, it is important that the youth take action. Though I am not sure what to do and what is needed yet, I will put today’s valuable experience to account, and will not fail to take action. My biggest goal is the abolition of nuclear weapons from the world.

Though it was my third time visiting the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, I had never looked around as carefully as today. Because I had not visited here since I came in primary school, everything I saw sunk deep into my heart. Before today, I had only looked at pictures and had some ambiguous feeling, like “this is cruel.” However, this time, I did not only look pictures, but also carefully read the explanations for the pictures. I realized how miserable it was. My hometown is Kure City and my grandfather has always lived there. So, I do not have those who experienced the atomic bomb around me. Today’s experience let me think how happy we, the young generation, are. I became more aware that young people living in Hiroshima must tell the world about the hibakushas’ experiences. Although I do not know what to do now, I am thinking that I will come to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum on August 6th of this year.

Hearing the testimony of the atomic bombing as a college student afresh, I got a different impression of it, than from the peace study I did in primary and junior high school. After learning more about the atomic bombing, I got a better idea about how miserable the situation at that time was. Though young people today are able to see and hear about the past, we are not able to experience it ourselves. Which is why it’s hard for us to understand the real situation of that time through these lectures or classes. However, if there are no chances to know the past via things like this study course, it will be impossible to know what happened in the past. From now on, the younger generations like me have to think about peace as leaders. I want to know the world more and I want to try to think more about the preciousness of life.

I visited the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum only one time when I was little. Since becoming a college student, I now look at it differently than before. I have always known that it was important to wish for peace. Moreover, after visiting here today, I’ve come to think that I now have to take action, not only to wish. I was happy to come here today. I think that this is something I have to know since I am living in Hiroshima City. The lecture given by Ms. Okada was about the past, present and future. It was very impressive. She said that she wanted us to know that today’s world is a peaceful place and to feel happy in our everyday lives.

Up until now, I have been to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum a total of 4 times: when I was in elementary, middle, and high school. Today was my 4th time. However, there was something I feel afresh. Listening to the story of a survivor of the atomic bombing, I realized that my life is very happy and a luxury because I lack for nothing in my everyday life. Considering the fact that people in the past could not do what is natural and usual for me, I recognized that people who are living in this present world are very fortunate. My grandmother is also a survivor of the atomic bombing and same generation of today’s speaker. So, I will ask to hear her story, though I had not been able to up to now.

Since first having come to Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum as a primary school student, I have not returned here until today. Today, I got a totally different impression from the one I had last time. Though I live in Hiroshima, I did not know it at all. I was surprised by my ignorance and ashamed of it. The story from the survivor of the atomic bombing was very vivid and it was scarier than I had imagined. I think that Hiroshima is now in great peace. Because I was given birth to in this peaceful world, I take peace as very natural thing. However, today, I think that I have to care more about everyday life, and even the small things. I have been given new knowledge. Today’s experience was very beneficial to my life.

I have been to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum about 2 times. However, this time I looked around with much more interest because a guide went with us. His explanations were so very easy to understand that I did not have to make an effort to understand his words. What impressed me most today was the fact that a woman who was there when the atomic bomb was dropped was alive to tell her story. I am honored to be here today. I see that listening to another person is enough to move someone’s heart, and human being can do it. I am now filled with the feeling that I have to do something. I think that it is our mission to spread Hiroshima all over the world from Japan.

前のページへ戻る

Back to list

PAGETOP