8th Executive Conference of Mayors for Peace
The 8th Executive Conference was held in Granollers, Spain. During the conference, it was reported that the number of member cities exceeded 5,000 in September 2011. Past activities were reviewed and future plans were discussed among the participating mayors and representatives of executive cities.
Also at this Executive Conference, digest version of the “Hiroshima for Global Peace Plan of Hiroshima Prefecture was circulated and explained, and gained approval for receiving an explanation about the situation of efforts from Hiroshima Prefecture at the 2013 General Conference.
- Wednesday, November 9 and Thursday, November 10, 2011
- Granollers, Spain
3. Participated Cities (List of Participants)
Hiroshima (Japan), Nagasaki (Japan), Granollers (Spain), Biograd na Moru (Croatia), Halabja (Iraq), Hannover (Germany), Malakoff (France), Manchester (UK), Volgograd (Russia), Ypres (Belgium), and Fongo Tongo (Cameroon)
The cities of Frogn (Norway), Mortsel (Belgium), Zemir (Israel), and Bastogne (Belgium); Federation of Argentinean Municipalities (FAM), Latin American Federation of Cities, Municipalities and Associations of Local Governments (FLACMA), Brazilian National Front of Mayors (FNP) and Association of Local Authorities of Mexico (AALMAC)
List of Participants
|City (Country)||Name of the head of the delegation（Position）|
|President||Hiroshima (Japan)||Mr. Kazumi Matsui（Mayor）|
|Vice President||Nagasaki (Japan)||Mr. Tomihisa Taue（Mayor）|
|Granollers (Spain)||Mr. Josep Mayoral i Antigas（Mayor）|
|Biograd na Moru (Croatia)||Ms. Jasminka Bajlo（Counselor）|
|Halabja (Iraq)||Mr. Khder Kareem（Mayor）|
|Hannover (Germany)||Ms. Marlies Drevermann（Deputy Chief Executive）|
|Malakoff (France)||Mr. Michel Cibot（Head of Services）|
|Manchester (UK)||Mr. Mark Hackett（Councillor）|
|Volgograd (Russia)||Ms. Irina B. Elinetskaya（Vice Mayor responsible for International Relations）|
|Ypres (Belgium)||Mr. Filip Deheeger（Treasurer）|
|Executive||Fongo Tongo (Cameroon)||Mr. Daniel Tsakem（Lord Mayor）|
Vice President: Akron (US), Florence (Italy), Brussels (Belgium) and Muntinlupa (Philippines)
Executive: Montreal (Canada), Mexico City (Mexico) and Montevideo (Uruguay)
|City /Municipal Organization||Name of the head of the delegation （Position）|
|2020 Vision Campaign Association Associate Member||Frogn (Norway)||Mr. Thore Vestby（Mayor）|
|Mortsel (Belgium)||Ms. Ingrid La Pira（Mayor）|
|Zemir (Israel)||Mr. Samir Darwish（Mayor）|
|Bastogne (Belgium)||Ms. Lysiane Thonus（Staff member in charge of Mayors for Peace）|
|Municipal Organization||Federation of Argentinean Municipalities (FAM, Argentina) /Latin American Federation of Cities, Municipalities and Associations of Local Governments (FLACMA)||Dr. Marcos Miguel Sestopal（Director of International Affairs of FAM）|
|National Front of Mayors (FNP, Brazil)||Mr. Claudio Maffei（Vice President of FNP, Mayor of Porto Feliz）|
|Association of Local Authorities of Mexico (AALMAC, Mexico)||Mr. Ricardo Baptista（Advisory Council member of AALMAC）|
|Coordinator /Campaign Director||Name||Position|
|Executive Advisor, Hiroshima Peace Culture Foundation||Mr. Aaron Tovish||International Director, 2020 Vision Campaign|
|Ms. Jacqueline Cabasso||Mayors for Peace North American Coordinator|
|Mr. Pol Heanna D'Huyvetter||International Development Director, 2020 Vision Campaign|
4. Major items decided
- 1. Develop a global grassroots petition drive, including e-petitions, conducted by all member cities calling for negotiations on a nuclear weapons convention.
- 2. Issue letters of request and/or statements calling for a world free from nuclear weapons to be sent to appropriate recipients at appropriate times and in effective ways.
- 3. Commemorate the 5000-city milestone with a new poster exhibit available to all our member cities. The full poster exhibit will be premiered in Vienna at the May 2012 meeting of the Preparatory Committee for the 2015 NPT Review Conference.
- 4. Invite disarmament ambassadors to join mayors, UN officials, parliamentarians and NGO representatives at the Mayors for Peace General Conference in Hiroshima in August 2013.
- 5. Identify celebrities and other opinion leaders who support the 2020 Vision and appoint them to serve as 2020 Vision Ambassadors.
*Furthermore, the participants exchanged opinions about
- 1. Holding Executive Conferences in Hiroshima or Nagasaki,
- 2. Managing the cost of Mayors for Peace,
- 3. Establishing national and regional chapters: roles and responsibilities. Hereafter, especially to strengthen the financial base, an international committee of representatives from existing secretariats and member cities will be set up and the initial meeting will be held in Hannover.
|>Resolution||This will be sent to the governments of nuclear weapon states, states suspected of developing or possessing nuclear weapons, the United Nations, and all member cities.|
|>Final Communiqué||This will be sent to all member cities.|