How to Join
Send a letter from the mayor or the head of the City Council to the Conference Secretariat stating that your city supports the Program to Promote the Solidarity of Cities toward the Total Abolition of Nuclear Weapons and would like to join the Mayors for Peace. Shortly thereafter, the Secretariat will send by return mail a certificate confirming membership in the Mayors for Peace.
1. How to join Mayors for Peace
- (1) If you would like to join us, please send the “Registration Form” to the Mayors for Peace Secretariat (to the address below).
(2) As a general rule, the Secretariat registers its new member cities once a month and announces the new members on Mayors for Peace website at the beginning of the month.
※Date of registration is basically the 1st day of the month following the date when a registration form is received.
(3) “Mayors for Peace Certification of Membership” will be sent out to the municipalities.
It is going to be delivered about 10 days after the announcement.
2. Membership fee
- Membership fee
- 2,000 yen/year
Mayors for Peace Member Cities ("Member Cities") shall each pay a Fee of 2,000 yen every year (or, in the case of payment in any other currency, an amount converted at the exchange rate between that currency and yen as of the date of payment). However, Member Cities will not lose their membership if they do not pay the Fee. When deemed appropriate, Member Cities can be exempt from Fee payment.
The introduction of an annual membership fee of 2,000 JPY for each city was approved at the 8th General Conference of Mayors for Peace, held in 2013 and implementation began in the fiscal year 2015.
3. Member City Activities (Example)
- （１） Promote petition drive calling for a Nuclear Weapons Convention.
- （２） Attend the General Conference every four years.
（３） Organize events to pass on the realities of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, conduct peace activities by each municipality’s initiative and report them to the Secretariat.
- ※ Mayors for Peace is calling on its member cities to hold the Mayors for Peace Poster Exhibition on the atomic bombings which is available to be downloaded from its website.
- ※ The Secretariat will post activities reported from member cities on Mayors for Peace website.
- （４） Request neighboring municipalities or sister cities to join Mayors for Peace.