How to Join
If your city would like to join Mayors for Peace, please read the information below and send a “Registration Form” signed by the mayor or the head of the City Council to the Mayors for Peace Secretariat. After the registration process is finished, the Secretariat will send a “Certification of Membership”.
1. How to join Mayors for Peace
- (1) If your city would like to join us, please send a “Registration Form” to the Secretariat.
(2) The Secretariat registers its new member cities once a month (around the 20th).
※ Date of affiliation is the 1st day of the month following the date registration proceedures are
completed by the Secretariat.
(3) “Certification of Membership” will be sent out to newly affiliated municipalities.
※ Certificates will be delivered several weeks after joining.
2. Membership fee
- Membership fee
- 2,000 yen/year
Mayors for Peace Member Cities ("Member Cities") shall each pay a Fee of 2,000 yen every year (or, in the case of payment in any other currency, an amount converted at the exchange rate between that currency and yen as of the date of payment). However, Member Cities will not lose their membership if they do not pay the Fee. When deemed appropriate, Member Cities can be exempt from Fee payment.
The introduction of an annual membership fee of 2,000 JPY for each city was approved at the 8th General Conference of Mayors for Peace, held in 2013 and implementation began in the fiscal year 2015.
3. Member City Activities (Examples)
(1) Promote the petition drive calling for all states to join the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear
Weapons as soon as possible.
- (2) Attend the General Conference every four years.
(3) Organize events to pass on the realities of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki,
conduct peace activities by each municipality’s initiative and report them to the Secretariat.
※ Mayors for Peace is calling on its member cities to hold the Mayors for Peace Poster Exhibition on
the atomic bombings.
※ The Secretariat will post activities reported from member cities on Mayors for Peace website.
- (4) Request neighboring municipalities or sister cities to join Mayors for Peace.